Friday, September 2, 2011

Na'au Pono

Na'au pono literally translated means "right-minded", but the mana'o behind it is much deeper. In Hawaiian, this is what describes the sense of balance we feel when all aspects of our lives are in harmony. 

Last night I had my first papa hula (hula class) with Halau Hula Ka Pa Hula o Ka Ulu Koa. It is a unique halau in that it teaches the class through the 'olelo Hawai'i (the Hawaiian language). Throughout class I thought about the goals I had set for myself this new semester (on a side note--being that I've been in school for a long time, I usually do new semester resolutions, similar to what people do at new years)... It included being more diligent with my time and focusing on school, but also included finding a sense of balance within my life... meaning, creating sometime for myself--doing the things I enjoy. More specifically, I wanted to be more active and start dancing hula again. 

Starting hula and CrossFit in the same week has been very fulfilling. It have learned that it is possible to remain committed to my 'ohana and still reconnect with the things I'm passionate about. Although I miss my keiki dearly when I'm not with them, I notice that I value and appreciate my time with them a lot more.

What do you do to achieve na'au pono? What type of lifestyle changes, if any, have you had to make?

1 comment:

  1. That is awesome that you are motivated and enjoying your hula and the crossfit! I really need to get back to doing at least a daily walk...and quit making excuses like, it's soooo hot...or not enough time...

    Blessings & Aloha!

    ReplyDelete